[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • Pakistan's national goat makes a comeback : SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Board index SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY Pakistan's national goat makes a comeback

Pakistan's national goat makes a comeback

Lets discuss this branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science.

Forum rules

Kindly respect fellow bloggers and treat them as you would yourself like to be treated. We intend to maintain a friendly environment and keep it that way.
Avoid posting messages that flame, threaten, harass or insult others.
We also reserve the right to remove offensive posts.
Abusive behavior will not be tolerated and for this your account may be suspended.

admin
Be Light for Others
&
They will be light for you,maybe sometime.

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Holly Flame, now that was unexpected and highly encouraging. On a day which has seen at least 21 persons killed in a drone attack on North Waziristan only a few hours after Pakistan opened its supply lines to Afghanistan once again, a bit of good news was exactly what was needed to cheer us up. If the makhors, the wild goats of the tribal areas, have taken a step backwards from extinction we all rejoice and give praise where praise is due.

Pakistan has been doing well with wildlife.Today there are hundreds of Beautiful rare Black Bucks and Chinkara in Lal Suhara.But still many other animals such as Snow leopards need a come back.
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

I say, HF, I didn't even know Pakistan was doing anything to preserve its endangered species and now you tell us about the Black Bucks and the Chinkara who have been brought back from extinction. What are these two? Birds? Sorry, for being so ignorant, but there you are. Snow leopards of course even I know, but could you tell me where they are to be found? That Pakistan still has some kind of wildlife to its name makes me very happy.

@Mirza Ghalib
That's pretty strange.Black Buck(Kala Hiran, you may have heard of it),is a very beautiful specie of dears.With its half body black and half white it looks really wonderful.I first time saw them in Lahore Zoo.Chinkara is also a rare specie of dears.Arabs used to come here and hunt them down.But with there constantly falling numbers ,measures were taken to restore them.
I recently saw a program about snow leopards.They are only found in northern areas,high above in snowy mountains.They are very low in numbers,and are said to be about 200 in Pakistan.
These links might not be very much useful,but still better than nothing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinkara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbuck
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

I do apologise HF, that was very foolish of me. I'll know better in future. Now I've learnt that the Chikara is what we also call a gazelle, whereas the Blackbuck is also known as an antelope. So now to the birds, do you know anything about those in Pakistan? I am from Karachi myself and the skies of Karachi were always filled with the movement of wings. That is a memory that still fills me with nostalgia. Now there are fewer birds to be seen. But that is the price of modern living, I don't doubt.

Apology accepted 8-)
And now its my turn to apologize as I myself don't know much about birds. :(
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Well, it birds are beyond us, so be it. But what about cats, HF. You did say you'd let us have the ending of the story of the cat turning into a lion. It's still a most fitting acount of rise and downfall for our times.

@MG
I was afraid that you will ask me.Alas! what a mess.I started writing the next part when I found my self in complete mental freedom,and hoped to finish that.But then again I got my self overwhelmed with my studies.At first I thought that it might be good thing to give it some tragic ending,but then I decided to finish it properly.
I hope you will accept my excuses(though quite lame).I hope to post it here by the end of this month. :roll:
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Done, HF, done. Take your time. Are you a student and if so, what are you studying? Sorry if you felt I was putting any pressure on you. Your studies will always come first and everything else can take up the moments remaining. And once again, thanks for taking us down the wildlife in Pakistan path. No one else I know would have thought to do so.

No,there wasn't any pressure.In-fact there are always so many things going in my mind,that I find it hard to complete it properly. I think good things need proper focus and concentration,so I decided to do it when I will be able to completely focus on it.
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

For Holly Flame

Thar peacocks: Death toll rises to 120

July 30, 2012

KARACHI: There seems no end to peacocks dying in the Thar Desert, as 30 more struck by the epidemic disease called ‘Ranikhet’ perished, taking the toll to 120 during last 22 days, Geo News reported.

Denying media reports of such large number of peacocks falling prey to ‘Ranikhet’, Wildlife department officials said that only 9 peacocks have died so far. They said that four teams constituted on the directive of provincial minister wildlife accompanied by one doctor only currently dispensing medicines to the suffering peacocks, which has by now spread over to 40 villages of the district Tharparkar and this was confirmed by minister wildlife himself, yet the officials underrated the onslaught of this viral disease taking heavy toll.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-61241 ... ses-to-120

Thanks Mirza Sahib for sharing,its quite a tragic news though."Rani Khet" as far as I know is a common disease among hens in Pakistani poultry farms.Its very alarming situation if its spreading among peacocks also.
Be Light for Others
&

Abdul Rafay

semirza User avatar

Mirza Sahab, this post is especially for you. Pakistan is blessed with a very wide variety of flora and founa. The following sports this claim:

Fauna

The mountainous areas embracing the Himalayan, Karakorum and Hindu Kush Ranges are rich in fauna and flora, as compared to other parts of the country. These areas provide an excellent habitat for wildlife in the form of alpine grazing lands, sub-alpine scrub and temperate forests. These habitats support a variety of wild animals. The areas are difficult for human beings to access; hence, most wildlife is present in reasonable numbers though some are endangered for other reasons.

Some of the main wildlife species are the tiger, sloth bear (nearly extinct), snow leopard (National Predator of Pakistan), the Peregrine Falcon or "Duck Hawk", (Falco peregrines), (State military bird) the black bear and the brown bears, otter, wolf, lynx, Himalayan ibex, Markhor (National animal), Bharal, Marco Polo's sheep, Shapu, Musk deer, Marmots, Tragopan and Monal pheasants. The snow partridge and Snowcock reside at higher elevations. The Rhesus monkey, common Langur, Red fox, Black bear, Common leopard, a variety of Cats, Musk deer (over a limited area), Goral, several species of Flying Squirrels, Chukar (National bird), Partridge and Pheasants (Koklass, Kaleej and Cheer) live in the lower elevations. Amongst these the snow leopard, musk deer, Marco Polo's sheep, and the brown bear are endangered. The Tibetan wild ass and the blue sheep populations have been reduced drastically.

The cheer pheasant is reported to be extinct from within Pakistan's boundaries, and is included in the IUCN Red Data Book. The western horned Tragopan was reported to have disappeared from within Pakistani territory, but has now been relocated to Indus Kohistan, although its numbers are low. The Himalayan foothills and the Potohar region, including the Salt Range and Kala Chitta Range, are covered with scrub forests, which have been reduced to scanty growth in most places. Medium-sized animals like the Punjab Urial, Barking deer, Goral, Chinkara, Partridges (grey and black), Seesee and Chakor are supported in these habitats. A variety of songbird fauna also occurs in these areas. Sand lizards, monitors, geckos, agamas, diamond snakes, sand snakes, vipers, cobras, kraits and the famous Indian python constitute the other reptilian fauna. About eight species of freshwater turtles are found in Pakistan.

Diversity of Wildlife in Pakistan.

Pakistan's coastline of 1,050 km consists of a variety of habitat types, supporting a wide range of animals, of which over 1000 are fish species. Pakistan's marine flora and fauna have not been studied properly. Hence, detailed information on these species is deficient. Along the shores, there are four species of marine turtles: the Ridley, Green, Leather back and Hawksbill turtle, which are of high economic importance. Due to loss of habitat and human disturbances, their population is also decreasing.

Large bodies of water in the country support a variety of waterfowl. The extent of wetlands is constantly being changed. On one hand, swamps and marshes are being drained to reclaim land, whereas on the other hand, new dams (large water bodies) have been created for irrigation purposes. Canal irrigation through seepage has also contributed towards increasing the land area under water in the form of water logging. Such areas support a great number of waterfowl by providing them with an excellent habitat. The wetlands are one of the most important wintering areas and "green routes" of Asia. The important waterfowl in Pakistan are the Ducks (Mallard, Pintail, Shoveler, Pochard, Gargeny, Ruddy Shelduck, Teals Tufted and Gadwall), Geese (grey lag, bar-headed), Coots, Flamingoes, Pelicans, Spoon bills, Storks, Ibises, Plovers, Curlews, Pipers, Snipes, and Herons. The marbled teal and white-headed duck have decreased in number and now visit the wetlands infrequently. Among the resident waterfowl are Gallinules, Moorhens and Rails, Gulls, Terns, Water cock, Grebes, Cormorants, Egrets, Bitterns, and Jakanas. The spot-billed lesser whistling teal and the cotton teal are resident ducks. A rich wader fauna visits the coastline during the winter.

Vast Indus flood plains have been cleared of natural vegetation to grow crops. Very little wildlife habitat has been left untouched. Only animals like the jackal, mongoose, jungle cat, civet cat, scaly anteater, desert cat and the wild hare occur in these areas. Hog deer is found in riverine tracts. The crop residues and wild growth support reasonable populations of black and grey partridges. The coastline is still covered in dense tropical rainforest; plants mainly include mangroves (90%) and bamboo or other (10%).

Little vegetative cover, severity of climatic conditions and the great thrust of grazing animals on the deserts have left wild animals in a precarious position. Parts of Thall and Cholistan are now being irrigated, with the situation almost identical to that of the flood plains. Chinkara is the only animal, which can still be found in average numbers in Cholistan, but rarely in Thall. The blackbuck, once plentiful in Cholistan has now been eliminated. However, efforts are being made to reintroduce them back into the country. A small number of blue bulls are found along the Pak-Indian border, and some parts of Cholistan. Grey partridge, species of sand grouse and the Indian courser are the main birds of the area. Peafowl occur in some areas in Cholistan.
The Thar Desert supports a fair population of the Chinkara gazelle. Peacocks are only found in the wild, mainly because of the protection they enjoy in Hindu communities. The wild ass migrates from the Indian part of the Rann of Kutch to the Pakistani part in search of food.

The Houbara bustard is a regular winter visitor to the desert. Visiting diplomats have hunted and reduced their numbers. The great Indian bustard is occasionally sighted. The imperial Sandgrouse is another migrant visiting these areas. Grey partridges are frequently sighted. The python is also threatened with extinction.

The Sulaiman and Kirthar Ranges present habitats manifesting unique characteristics. The former supports the straight-horned Markhor, Chinkara and Urial, whereas Sindh ibex, Urial, Chinkara and common leopard occupy the latter. The straight-horned Markhor, which is almost extinct from within settled boundaries of Pakistan, occurs in somewhat fair numbers in the Tribal Areas. The Chakor, Seesee and grey partridge are birds commonly found in the tracts.

The reed beds and tamarisk bushes along the rivers support hog deer and black partridge populations. However, due to occasional heavy floods their numbers have also been reduced. The Indus Dolphin (National marine Mammal of Pakistan), fishing cat, and smooth otter are found in the Indus River waters below the Chashma Barrage. The gavial has become extinct in Pakistan. The Indus Crocodile (National Reptile of Pakistan) is found in small numbers in lower Sindh. Wild boar numbers have increased because of the immunity they enjoy in a Muslim society that forbids its consumption by humans.

The animals found in the south-western mountains of Baluchistan are: Sindh ibex, Chilton Markhor, straight horned Markhor, wild sheep, leopard, marbled pole cat, Bland ford’s fox, Chinkara, Goitered gazelle and the marsh crocodile. Some cheetahs may still survive and like the Makran (Baluchistan) bear, they are critically endangered. The Houbara bustard (migratory), Sandgrouse, black and grey partridges, and the Chakor and see partridges are also found here.

Irrigated forest plantations have emerged as the prevailing land use practice for the last 100 years. These ideally provide excellent habitat for Chinkara, hog deer and blue bull. Forest management does not cater to the needs of these wild animals. This, coupled with the poor implementation of laws has resulted in the extinction of species in the irrigated plantations. Due to habitat disturbances, the ungulates have failed to establish themselves, whereas the partridges have flourished well.

The striped hyena and the wolf are widely distributed in the sparsely populated parts of the country. However, information about them is scanty. Information about carnivores in general is difficult to obtain because of their nocturnal mode of life and high mobility. Little is known of the black bear and brown bear populations.
Birds of prey like the Peregrine, Cherrug or Saqer falcons, Tawny eagle, Imperial and Greater Spotted eagles, Osprey, Shikra, and the Black-winged Kite occur throughout Pakistan but their population statuses are unknown.

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/culture-lite ... istan.html

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

SEM, Thanks a lot for this piece. It makes the imagination dance for joy to think so much wildlife is contained within our borders. And if we are pushing species after species towards extinction, what's surprising there? We are doing the same thing with our people, so who's going to shed a tear over the animal kingdom. Still, I hope the next government will spare a thought for the creatures of the wild, even while it brings the people of this country back onto the right path. One thing I do suggest, though, those diplomats who come over to shoot at our animals, we should greet them with a few pot shots ourselves. God willing, one of these days we'll finally stop selling ourselves and our wildlife to foreigners as we are doing at the moment.

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Glad we wholeheartedly agree over this matter, SEM. I wonder what on earth parents teach their children in this day and age. Is it only ever about money and getting on in life? Or is respect for the Creation and God's Creatures also part of the wisdom they hand down to the younger generation?

Return to SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY