[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • Sher-o-Naghma : MUSIC
Board index MUSIC Sher-o-Naghma

Sher-o-Naghma

A forum for music lovers
Unread post Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:26 pm
Musician Most Senior Member

Just happened to browse the forum and noticed the following:
Shimatoree said:
“Why do we treat our poets and Prophets as we do ?”
And the Mirza Ghalib responded by saying:

“As for Sagher Siddiqui, one of our greatest poets, just the thought of his sufferings, courage and neglect makes one
want to bang one's head against the nearest wall.”

I believe that although one cannot undo the wrong doings of the past, one can make the current and future generations aware of the quality of the poetry of our past and current poets. One way of doing this (on the forums) is to publish their work in the most attractive way which I would describe as Sher-o-Naghma.

Here is something from Saghar Siddiqui noting in particular:

“Zindagi Jabr-e-musalsil ki tarah kati hai
Janay kis jurm ki paai hai saza yaad nahin"

Unread post Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Momin Khan Momin

Unread post Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Mir Taqi Mir

Unread post Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Mirza Asadullah Khan GHALIB

Unread post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:35 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

I'm stupid, Musician. Do forgive. Have only just stumbled upon Sher-o-Naghma. And how to thank you enough for it? Four different poets, four different singers and all of them reach straight out for the heart!

I agree with you. This is the best way to keep reminding everyone we have a rich poetic past. Hope whenever you have a moment you will carry on adding to the treasures you have already provided. I shall try and do the same though I'm absolutely not in the same class as yourself. Once again, many, many thanks.

Unread post Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:51 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Amjad Islam Amjad

Unread post Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:48 am

Qateel Shifaee

Unread post Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:22 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Extraordinary all of it, the singer, the raag, the poetry and the posting of it here. My words are alas not equal to the task of translating my gratitude. So I'll simply say: thank you Musician. You're really one in a million, a man with a heart as big as the Antarctic and unflinching determination once your mind is made up.

Unread post Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 am

Saifuddun Saif

Unread post Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JraD04iAHw

On this his death anniversary, the most poignant of songs.

Unread post Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Unread post Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Ahmad Faraz

Unread post Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:23 pm

"Zindagi mein dou hi gharian mujh peh guzri hein kathin
ik teray aanay se pehlay, ik teray jaanay ke baad"

Unread post Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:29 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Unread post Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Mehdi Hassan sings Bahadur Shah Zafar, the tragic last Mughal King.

Unread post Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:26 am

Unread post Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Oh you touched my heart once again, Musician. TM is still my favourite singer. He sings as effortlessly as breathingm a sheer delight. Thank you Friend. So glad to hear your voice again as well. One question as well. No, no, not about Kashmir. That might be voiced at some later point in time. For today just this: What do you think of Coke Studio? I loved their Ey Rah e Haq que Shaidoon and Aaqua. Otherwise, the rest was OK. Till the next time and once again a million thanks.

Unread post Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Mirza Jee

I did not know anything about this particular Coke Studio but I searched and found what you were referring to, but as soon as I saw Rahat's face I switched my computer off. You will not like it me saying so but I do not like just an above average singer and the currency smuggler.

He brought Pakistan in disrepute like the three cricketers. At least the cricketer were convicted and punished (not by Pakistan though) but the currency smuggler got scot free. An apathetic Pakistan!

Unread post Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Oh Dear, Musician, so sorry. Rahat was not at all in my mind when I spoke of Coke Studio. He sang only one line, like all the others. A pity it put you off completely. But never mind.

I used to like Rahat quite a lot in earlier days. Over time, that liking has dwindled to almost nothing. I get the feeling whatever talent he might have had he has wasted through laziness and looking for the easy way out, not great recommendations for a qawwal who's supposed to have a spiritual function as well as a musical one.

Again sorry, Musician, I didn't mean to upset you. Let me end on a more hopeful note, I hope: cricket. After the earlier fiascos, we ended on a very bright note indeed. Did you watch some of the matches?

Last but not least, our beloved Pakistan. We're going towards the resolution of some of our present problems. Gen Raheel turned out to be a finer diplomat than one had expected. Look out for a PTI-PPP protest against the kings of Punjab soon.

Next

Return to MUSIC