[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • 14 August 2014; Our Greatest Challenge : ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis
Board index ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis 14 August 2014; Our Greatest Challenge

14 August 2014; Our Greatest Challenge

This is an academic discussion forum presenting information and analysis concerning current Pakistani and International political affairs.
Original thoughts expressed are most welcome. Please support us to maintain a healthy brainstorming atmosphere on this forum.
Thanks
Unread post Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:58 pm
I surprise myself sometimes with my own hypocrisy. I do not suffer crippling power cuts, unbearable inflation, shortages, corruption and nepotism but yet I write about it. I do not suffer the insults of office or hear the rumbles of my empty stomach or countenance the indignity of standing for hours in a queue to buy fuel or simply keep my life on hold by a roadside to allow VIP convoys to pass. I do not face soul-destroying exploitation, injustice, deprivation and lawlessness. I do not have to seek solace by clinging on to fatalism or explain minor misfortunes in my life as conspiracies. I am very much a hypocrite and I know it. What I have written above applies neatly to a vast majority of our ruling political and social elite too but there is one important difference; I am not paid by tax-payers to run and ameliorate lives. Unlike our ruling masters, I am happy to admit my hypocrisy and this is other difference.

So when was the last time to you heard Nawaz Sharif, Zardari or Fazlu admit to hypocrisy? If truth be told, it is not hypocrisy that kills us but the lies it so profusely breeds. Zardari has come out in support of PTI’s demand for recounting votes in four constituencies and suddenly many commentators are afflicted by sudden bouts of admiration and amnesia. Zardari’s extremely poor reputation is underpinned by his actions over the past three decades but especially those we witnessed when he was inflicted upon the people as the President. His modus operandi has always been the same; screw his opponents when they are in trouble in order to extract concessions for his family owned party.

The Bhutto-Zardari clan represents everything that is rotten in the state of Pakistan; corruption, nepotism and political reputations built on mausoleums, so forgive me for not jumping up and down with excitement. What are, in PML N parlance, called ‘josh-e-khitabat’ (oratorical exuberance) and ‘typos’, Zardari calls them non-hadeeth (trans. not the saying of the Mohammad pbuh). Did you work out what they are really called? Yes, lies – conceived in the warm and fertile bed of hypocrisy.

In Pakistan, not many people are ‘Sharif’ enough to become billionaires – for the simple reason that judges cost a lot of money and to have loans written off requires clinging on to power like parasites. Today, the electoral and economic health of Pakistan is measured in typos – thanks to Nawaz Sharif and his posse of 40 thieves. Nawaz Sharif says that this is not the time for negative politics; I agree. This is the time for revolutionary politics; bring down the system that produces dynastic rule of corrupt hypocrites. This week Khawaja Asif asks Pakistanis to brace themselves for more power-cuts as the ‘official’ differential between supply and demand of electricity is rather large; did he mention this to Shahbaz Sharif who has made several promises of taming the electricity dragon and dragging it into every household at an affordable price? He had also promised to drag someone else by his hair through the streets of Pakistan but let us not get distracted.

The likes of Zardari, Sharifs, Falzu and Altaf are loathe to the idea of derailment of democracy especially when Pakistan is confronted with a so-called existential war against TTP. Tax-shy chair-counter Parvaiz Rasheed advises PTI to redirect the money intended for the 14 August protest to helping IDPs. So why all this insistence on not rocking the boat? Would you rock the boat if a nicely corrupt system of ‘democracy’ allowed you to rob and steal every few years? What we have in Pakistan is not democracy; it is the making of a kingdom. The existential threat to Pakistan is from a system that allows a highly symbiotic relationship to exist between corruption and the corridors of power. Hypocrisy is the lubricant that makes it all possible.

I have said before, PTI must never underestimate its power to unify the forces of corrupt hypocrisy. You can already see the defenders of our so-called ‘democracy’ congealing into a unified resistance against the 14 August protest. The pressure is truly on and it is intense – you can tell by the number of meetings Nawaz Sharif is holding with his party leaders especially with his sulking Interior Minister, Chaurdry Nisar. He is trying to sell us a simple lie amidst all the fasting, heat, humidity, anger and power outages; he cares about the people and the lovely democracy we have. Nawaz Sharif does care but not about what he says he does.

The priority for Sharifs is precisely the same as what it has been for the past three decades; holding on the throne of Pakistan, maximising profits for their businesses and investing in safe foreign countries. Nawaz feels and cares about the pain of Pakistanis as much as a self-serving man who live a death-proof air-conditioned life on a ridiculously large estate surrounded by guava trees that bear precious fruit. Had Sharifs' been interested in provision of justice, we would not still be waiting for victims’ FIR to be lodged and suspects like Rana Sanaullah and Shabaz Sharif arrested and charged, if not for murder then at least with criminal dereliction of duty.

Imran Khan has rightly upped the ante and has now demanded a full recount of all ballots – well, there goes Nawaz Sharif’s hope of a last minute concession to deflate and undermine the D-Chowk protest. I hope Imran Khan and Tahir ul Qadri have factored in the deep rooted hypocrisy within the general population into their plans. In Pakistan, what we say is very different from what we do in our ordinary lives, thanks largely a dysfunctional school system and the rants of mullahs from the pulpit.

Back in the days people used to pay bribes and use influence for unlawful things but today nothing legal gets done without a bribe or a phone call. We are so used to using our connections, influence and money to screw merit and jump queues that in a post Second Independence Pakistan, we are likely to go cold turkey on a massive scale. Careful planning has to be in place today to deal with the backlash when people will be required to live lives governed by merit, decency, tolerance and justice. Coming out of this intact will be our greatest challenge and our greatest achievement.

14 August 2014 is not just a day; it is merely a very difficult beginning. On this day, I hope we will write history and become part of it. Our actions on the day will make it possible for our children to live a content, secure and prosperous Pakistan.
@stingingnettle1
stingingnettle1@gmail.com

Unread post Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 pm
Shimatoree Senior Moderator

Sting

All well and good but if CRUNCH comes…..will the PTI bull doze those that stand in its way.

Or is someone going to back down.

Yesterday's news was that Nawaz has said they will not stand in the way of the PTI but today his cronies are singing a different song and that they are going to have a celebration of YOM E AZADEE with a military parade etc.

Confusion prevails across the board and ain't no one thinking.

OK best case scenario………….PTI does run its show………….and wins……then what ?

Are the plans in place JUST LIKE they were prior to the May 2013 election ?

Valid questions ?

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Yes, SN, thanks for your first paragraph in which you do not shy back from castigating yourself and many of us for the hypocrisy that underlies our own Actions and thoughts. It very aptly summed up what has bothered me all along. We are not direct victims of the deadly politics governing Pakistan and yet we are always ready and willing to pontificate. . And now to that fateful date of August 14. Like you I believe it represents a Moment of truth, the real turning point for the country. Either we make our voices heard without any ambiguity. Or else we admit defeat to the forces of evil in Pakistan. From my own reading of the situation, we are finally going to take our future into our own hands. From what we hear, PMLN is playing its usual game of obfuscation. In the morning the Sharif Bros say they'll allow PTI to carry out its protest rally in D-Chowk, by the evening we hear - I think from Ehsan Iqbal - that PMLN could come to D-Chowk with their "workers" (i.e. all their Gullu Butt, L-e-J puppets and then violence might well be the outcome). Good cop, bad cop games we are playing even at this late date. But PTI is slowly awakening from its own long sleep.

Shimatoree asks a legitimate question when he wonders whether plans have been made to take advantage of a successful August 14 uprising. I doubt if anyone really knows what should come next. We seem to be concentrating on the fact of physical presence on the big day at the moment. What takes place after that is anyone's guess. Whatever, the need of the moment is to stop being more royalist than the king, to prove our credentials as the only political party with integrity in Pakistan's political spectrum. Allliances are required at this point. That is why the article below which might have shattered many of us a little while back seems to me to sum up the dictates of necessity. So Shim, if you were doing the planning, what would you suggest PTI do if August 14 lives up to its promise? How then would you proceed?

PTI to seek other parties’ support for march

By Khawar Ghumman - 17.7.14

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf has decided to seek the support of other parties in the opposition for its proposed Aug 14 march.

The PTI’s core committee held an extensive session at the residence of party chief Imran Khan in Banigala late on Tuesday night.

PML-N to let PTI go ahead with march

A majority of the party’s leaders, according to a participant of the meeting, believed that “moral support” of other parties, particularly the PPP, would strengthen the PTI’s hand in its demand for electoral reforms and for investigation into its claims of fraud in the May 2013 general elections.

The leadership welcomed former president Asif Ali Zardari’s statement in which he supported PTI’s demand for recount of votes and held up its right to hold demonstrations for electoral reforms. Even verbal support from the PPP for the long march will be a huge boost for PTI, they observed.

However, a source in the party said Imran Khan agreed to a suggestion that PPP be requested to “at least endorse the cause” for which the PTI had decided to take to the streets.

“The PTI can gather people on its own and put up a good show, but moral support of other political parties for the long march can be a game-changer,” said a senior PTI leader.

During the meeting, it was also decided to get in touch with some other parties, e.g. Jamaat-i-Islami, MQM, ANP and PAT, for forging a broad consensus on electoral reforms. The PML-Q has already assured PTI of its support for the rally.

In reply to a question whether the PTI intended to use the long march as a platform for launching a movement against the PML-N government, a senior member of the PTI said a majority of the party leaders were in favour of pressing the government to use “legal course of action to address our concerns”.”

During the meeting, PTI leaders deliberated upon alternatives in case the government tried to place obstacles before the march. Imran Khan will lead the marchers from Lahore on the morning of Independence Day. “In case of any hurdle created by the Punjab government, the PTI’s leaders from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will take over charge and reach Islamabad,” he said.

However, sources in the PML-N said the government had decided to allow PTI to go ahead with its plan as long as the participants were peaceful and didn’t create any law and order situation.

Since Islamabad’s D-Chowk has been dug-up for the proposed metro bus project, a sitting PTI member of the National Assembly said, the party’s leadership was considering various options about the final destination of the march.

The PTI assigned its leaders the task of mobilising people from areas of their influence. For example, Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Javed Hashmi were asked to bring workers from southern Punjab while Sarwar Khan, an MNA, will be pushing his supporters in Taxila to join the march.

Office bearers of the party at all levels were asked to regularly hold Iftar dinners and engage as many people as they can from different walks of life to ensure their participation in the march.

Published in Dawn, July 17th , 2014

http://www.dawn.com/news/1119720/pti-to ... -for-march

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

And here's the voice of the master, loud and clear. Interpret it whichever way you like:

Freedom of expression: PTI’s long march not destabilising, says US envoy

By Kamran Yousaf
Published: July 17, 2014

ISLAMABAD:
The United States does not consider Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s August 14 long march as a ‘destabilising event’ but wants its aim should not be to topple the government.

“It seems to me that the march is not something that anyone should fear. It is not a destabilising event. In a stable democracy, it is appropriate for there to be all kinds of expression of views,” said Ambassador Beth Jones, the US deputy special representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan.

In an exclusive interview with The Express Tribune, she, however, added that the PTI long march should not be violent and it should not aim to unsettle the government. “To express views, yes. But anything more than that is not appropriate,” said Jones, who on Wednesday wrapped up a five-day trip to Islamabad, where she met with Pakistani officials.

This was the first time a senior US official publicly commented on the brewing tensions between the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) government and the opposition party of cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan.

The PTI has planned to stage a massive gathering on Independence Day against alleged rigging in last year’s elections. In an attempt to thwart its plans, the government intends to hold the annual Independence Day celebrations on the same venue in a move that may lead to political instability.

The US envoy said it was important for Pakistan to have a “vibrant functioning democracy in which Pakistani citizens have their say in a peaceful and constructive way”.

Waziristan operation

Ambassador Jones said the United States was fully supporting Pakistan to go after every terrorist group in its ongoing operation in North Waziristan Agency. “We have made it clear that we completely support Pakistani intentions to go after terrorist groups of every nationality, including if it is a Pakistani terrorist group, Uzbek terrorist group, Chinese terrorist group, Afghan terrorist group… whatever it is, it has no place on Pakistani territory,” she said.

She added that the Pakistani leadership has given assurances that the operation would not spare any terrorist.

Asked whether the US was convinced that Pakistan was also targeting the Haqqani Network, she said: “I think it is still early days. I cannot tell you one way or the other what’s happened, I don’t know, we are not

there.” However, she insisted it was important that there should be no possibility of militant outfits’ regrouping on the Pakistani soil after the operation.

Answering a question, Ambassador Jones said the Afghanistan government as well as the US-led international forces had the intention not to allow Afghan soil to be used by any terrorist group either. “One of the things the Afghan side and Pakistan side have been working on and we have been supporting is to establish good border control and cross-border communications so that if this group or that group tries to take sanctuary elsewhere in either territory that can be communicated and followed up,” she added.

Support for Afghan peace deal

About the possibility of a peace deal following the formation of a new government in Kabul, Jones said it was for the new Afghan administration how to reach out to the Taliban for reconciliation.

“We made it clear that eventually some kind of reconciliation process was appropriated but it should be Afghan-to-Afghan. The US would be supportive of that process but would not be part of it,” she emphasised.

She also acknowledged the role of Pakistan in peace and stability in Afghanistan but stressed the need for letting Afghans decide on the peace talks with the Taliban.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 17th, 2014.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/736810/free ... -us-envoy/

Shimatoree Sahib,

You ask two very valid questions.

I do not really know if PTI will have enough momentum and drive to force change but one thing is very clear; if PTI does not deliver on its promise on 14 August, the damage will be huge and irreversible. In Nawaz Sharif's wet dream he imagines offering rather large and crunchy carrots in front of PTI so that a last minute change of mind can be effected - this will be the moment when IK's leadership skills will be tested to the limit.

My own view is that all PTI leadership should sing from the same hymn book and put it out in public in a consistent manner that no negotiations are on offer and that 14 August will happen even if NS opens his guava orchards for the general public. It should also be emphasied that the fall of NS Government is incidental to our real objective; deep rooted systemic changes.

PTI must issue clear warnings to Police and other agencies that they must NOT carry out illegal orders to shoot or beat up protesters. PTI must tell all its supporters to be take pictures of the faces of policemen who carry out any acts of barbarity. This is to send the message out that we know exactly who you are. PTI must also ask Raheel Sharif that he ensures that no violence is meted out by police and law enforcement agencies or else he will be considered to have violated his oath to protect the people of Pakistan.

The second question is about planning; yes, I agree - there has to be a crystal clear plan about what will happen before , during and after 14 August. Without meticulous and well understood plans PTI will expose itself to manipulation and chaos.

I think, and I hope I am wrong, this may be our last chance to have a credible go at getting rid of the filth within our system and if we do not come out now, we should shut up and stop complaining.

Countries come and go; so lets not delude ourselves that there is something indestructible about Pakistan. For me if 14 August 2014 does not prove decisive then I have little reason left to waste my time on trying to change what people do not have the guts or the will to change.
@stingingnettle1

MG Sahib,

PML N has always been conspiratorial in nature; as I said it does not give a flying F about Pakistan and its people, its agenda is simply to stay in power and steal money as fast as it can.

PTI needs to plan for the worst and hope for the best. PTI needs to stick to their own plan and must not behave in a reactive way anymore. This is a time to be proactive and firm.

I agree with Shimatoree Sahib, planning will be crucial for 14 August to be successful.

Any hint of concession or doubt from the top leadership will prove fatal; so they need to sit down and come up with a simple and clear party line.

It is a case of Berlin or bust!
@stingingnettle1

Unread post Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Sting

In a sort of Macabre and Lunatic way I am an Optimist even though many would not buy that.

Let us take the worst case scenario.

Let us suppose that PTI falls for the Carrots of PML-N as you say...............it will be the end of PTI but someone else will RISE and fill that gap and perhaps learn from the experience of PTI and do it better....................or worst still PTI tries and fails and PML-N wins.

Well, once again someone else will rise.

Though I do not see any place for the likes of TUQ or Mullah Diesel...............but the " revolution" has started already and the people WILL rise..................

Unread post Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Mg

Your quote " So Shim, if you were doing the planning, what would you suggest PTI do if August 14 lives up to its promise? How then would you proceed? " end of quote.

As Sh. Rasheed would say..................I am not so much BHOLA that I make news on your command .

PTI should already have had it's plans made not only if they succeed on 14th Aug but they mus also define what SUCCESS would be/\

1. If their march is successful in toppling the govt................mid term elections under whom and when. My view would be within one month or less. Appoint a person of impeccable integrity and honesty as EC but with a personality to work hard and make sure that everything is done properly and that would mean Law and order and thus someone whose capability and integrity to lead the law enforcement agencies is superb. Then once the elections are over, assuming if PTI forms the govt..........form a govt of national unity by selecting Honest people without any of their interests and liek Sher Shah Suri let them run their shows.
Immediate land reforms and finish the Waderas.
Establish a control commission to monitor and control the profit making industries.
Very substantially increase the money for education and vocational education.
Bring all Mosques under the govt andf all Mullahs as govt employees. Ban Loudspeakers.
Stop outside funding of the religious schools and make it illegal to use religion in politics. This one will require strong measures but they are essential. I shall write more on this later.

2. Control the TV news media dn lay down code of conduct and code of ethics.

3. Empower NAB and make it truly independent.

4. What if they lose out on 14th August................well I hope they have a Plan B ready for that.

More later

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Thank you, SN, thank you Shim for clearly stated answers to some of the questions tormenting us presently. Before tackling the planning part of the exposition, let me begin by saying that, in my eyes, the do-or-die urgency we seem to be according the August 14 encounter is misplaced. What counts in all this is not Imran or PTI, it is Pakistan and its future. The continued existence of this country is what matters. Hence a certain sense of urgency to hurry along whatever reforms are possible at this stage.

About planning, as far as I know the first thing that PTI intends doing if it comes to power is to extend the tax network to include all the untaxed millionaires infesting this country. That's as good a starting point as any. Shim, your idea of forming a national government of unity is worth gold. It would be the best way to achieve reconciliation between warring factions. The rest of your programme can then be applied single-mindedly, though I would add in two parts, i.e. not simultaneously. First let's get the secular reforms (including points 2 & 3) started and tackle the religous aspects of reform - also much needed - at a later date. But the main thing in all this is to achieve reform, not to play politics as we have done so far.

And now to the really tough part to deal with: fair and free elections. That person of "impeccable integrity and honesty" as EC is a pretty hard nut to crack. Look what happened with Fakhru Bhai. Actually, I have only one candidate for EC and that is Imran himself. Strange that I can't see any other honest person in a country of a 180 million inhabitants. But so it is. Which brings me to my problem with democracy, the form of government which lends itself most readily to manipulation. Harsh times demand novel solutions. Perhaps we require an "appointed" government at the moment, candidates being chosen through the combined efforts of the judiciary and the army. Or simply the "democratic martial law" Faisal Reza Abidi is so keen on propagating.

Whatever, I am with Imran to the death. Whether he becomes PM or not, he has broughts us alive and taught us to hope in the most desperate of situations. Like SN, I'm quite willing to give up on Pakistan if it lets us down this time. But I expect my links to Pakistanis will withstand any blow and prove indestructible.

Unread post Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm
MG and Shimatoree sahibs;

So we vacillate between hope and optimism, unwilling to give up on Pakistan; I am happy to join you in this journey but time is running out.

Shimatoree sahib says lets have a unity government in Pakistan post 14 August 2014; the idea, I agree with MG sahib, is great but we do have a problem and that is do with culture and mindset. In a country where the national pastime for the last 67 years has been to chop each others roots; how are we going to create the Utopia of unity.

In Pakistan, the mindset from the top to bottom revolves around getting a leg up by stepping on someones else's shoulder, dead or alive. We have become both adept and accustomed to a merit-free life where we are born with birth-rights totally at odds with our ability and training. Unity can only be underpinned by merit and not just honesty. There are millions in Pakistan who claim rightly to be honest but are thoroughly incompetent and undeserving of the positions they hold, simply because they are incompetent. Miraculously, Falzu might become honest one day (after a Hajj perhaps) but that will never turn him into a worthy and competent leader who could be part of any unity government.

Pakistan needs to do some serious weeding post 14 August 2014. Do you know any skilled, competent and ruthless gardeners?

To me personally; two things need to be our utmost priority. Firstly scrap the constitution because it is a regressive, impractical and utterly exploitative document that is the source of shocking hypocrisy, lies and inaction. I do not think we need to replace it with anything; we just parliament to come up with common sense laws.

Secondly, we need to fix our justice system - that is all we need to do. Nothing else matters. A justice system with shark teeth will soon get rid of the sick and corrupt big and small fish from our pond thus paving the way for a lighter, cleaner and progressive pond.

Pakistan's problem is that over the decades, thanks to our utterly screwed up education system, we have created armies of illogical and irrational slaves that feel threatened at the smallest hint of reasoning and dissent. Tackle this and I will give you a new Pakistan in due course.
@stingingnettle1

Sting

Ditto for everything.

Just let me have the Guillotine !

Unread post Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Glad to see the G word back in circulation. Had begun missing its absence seriously. But, SN, getting rid of our two holy cows, the Constitution and the Justice System? It's next to impossible to do at this point in time. Unless, of course, a serious revolution comes and everything is overthrown. Fawad Chaudry explained to us once on a Siasat and Quanoon programme just how messed up the entire business of administering law in this country had become. The fine art of legalised corruption is all that our courts support. It hadn't even occurred to me to include Maulana Diesel in any future government. But you're quite right to warn us to stay away from him at least.

And Shim, the latest event to have aroused your deep, sacred ire: the boy whose arms were cut off. So sorry, I hadn't heard about this barbarity before. Could it have served as a springboard to bringing a revolution to the people of Pakistan. Perhaps and perhaps not. The point is though IK is acting very cautiously and, strange to say, that hothead TUQ as well. His followers have been shot down, killed and wounded, and yet all he seems to be doing is giving talk show after talk show not one of which I personally have had the courage to listen to.

Let me add to the mix the threat of army intervention in our affairs in coming days, since PMLN has invoked article 245 (?), handing over the safety of various cities, including Islamabad, for a three month period to the army. So are the masses and the army going to clash in Islamabad on August 14? Are we going to change the venue of the event at the last minute? What we'll not do in any case is cancel the march whatever its destination.

We'll stand shoulder to shoulder with Imran because we have no other choice. It's as simple as that. We find much to criticise in the way he is handling things, but then he's the boss. Who argues with bosses? I once tried and promptly got the sack at a very critical time in my life. So let's trust in his killer instinct, grit our teeth, pray that all will go well and join the masses when they finally come out to forge their own destiny at long last.

BTW: We may be getting Zardari back as President of Pakistan soon. What a laugh that will be for us all.

Mg

the scuttle bug from the street in South Punjab is that people are fed up with the current rulers…………..
…………………………BUt they are also as much FED UP with PTI and IK.
The talk is that what the hell kept Imran from calling for Re-Election right away and that all he has done so far is JULOOS after JULOOS and Jalsa after Jalsa.

They-( street people) are saying that this the last Chance HE-( Imran) has…………if he lets these guys off the hook…………his political future is also History.

Thats what the people are saying.

Do I agree ?

Sure.

Unread post Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:49 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

I think you probably hear correctly, Shim. This is the critical juncture. We back down now, nothing good is going to come out of it. Hope there won't be too much of IK-bashing if PTI does join up with TUQ to make their point. Ideological purety should not be our concern for the moment, applying tremendous pressure through all legitimate means should be the goal. Haroon Rashid, a man I do not like, stated yesterday that over the past few months IK's popularity had grown quite a bit. If he fails this time, he'll lose much of it. I have the curious sense that PTI suffers from the same problem as the one that plagued the post-war Communist parties of the west. Their workers, supporters cared little about catering to the needs of the time. They were wholly focused on preserving ideological purity and clinging on to the moral high ground. In any case, if IK's future is compromised, seems to me the future of the other political parties is equally so. As Faisal Reza Abidi repeats tirelessly: Time now for a "democratic martial law regime". If such is the case, we can go home quietly, knowing we did our utmost, but failure was the outcome.

Mg

In all scenarios……good or bad there is always some bright spots.

If I was IK-( and I am not)- I would recall my memory to find out who were the people who advised me AGAINST going out into the streets right after the election.
Once I found out that….I would get those people out of my advisory panel to make policy.
It is those people who have let the situation come to this .

I WAS there during the election and I did spend quite a bit of time in the street………I was amazed to find that everyone I spoke with said they were voting for Imran……In Multan , In Pindi , in Islamabad , in Peshawar and so on.
So once the results came out there were only two possible explanations

1. There was grand scale rigging

2. The people were LYING.

How to react to the situation was the dilemma. The " old " PTI workers wanted to come out swinging but the Querahis, the Hashemis etc etc wanted to KEEP COOL and ask the Iftikhar Ch. Judiciary to fix the problem.

I already HAD RESTED my case long before -( HERE)-when it was left to a One Eyed Jack to dispense Justice……….so we are here today.
Even today the decision making has been FORCED on Imran by TUQ's plans.

That is where the problem lies.

Let us see if the man who made good decisions on the Cricket pitch can RISE to the occasion.

Bad timing….bad weather………..and I might add bad OMENS !

Return to ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis